Fire-Fused Metal Behind Chicago History Museum; Digital Photograph, 2011
Among the hedges bordering the Uihlein Plaza on the east side of the Chicago History Museum (formerly the Chicago Historical Society) is a large piece of fused metal formed by the Great Chicago Fire.
The main entrance to the Chicago History Museum is on Clark Street.
Rear of Chicago Historical Society Building; Hedrich Blessing, Photograph, ca. 1932 (HB-00888-G2)
In 1932 the Chicago Historical Society moved from its former site at Dearborn and Ontario into a much larger Georgian building on its current location at Clark Street and North Avenue. The front entrance then faced east toward Lincoln Park.
Chicago Historical Society 1971 Addition; Hedrich-Blessing Harr, Photograph (HB-36200A)
By the time of the centennial of the fire in 1971, a modern addition was added on the Clark Street side, which became the main entrance.
Chicago History Museum; Stefani Foster, Digital Photograph, 2011
This 1986 brick and glass addition and front facade considerably modified the look of the building from the Clark Street side.